Thursday, July 05, 2007

Hello there...

2007 is already half over!! Time does go by faster every year. Anyhoo...I know I haven’t bothered posting here in a while, which is a shame because there has been lots going on and great knitting being knit too. I actually feel more serious about knitting lately. Whether or not that will stick I don’t know. I guess I’ve hit some milestone and just feel like I understand more about yarn and needles and gauge and drape and fibers etc etc. Yes, its been four years and finally, its all starting to sink in. I’ve been buying lots of yarn lately with specific projects in mind. I’ve finished a few too. I dug out an old binder and some plastic sheets and organized my queue by putting all WIP’s in my binder with notes and stuff. I bought the Knit Picks needles set (more on the way) and that helped me get organized all by itself. The only downside to this is, I am running out of storage room for all the yarn.
I’ve already got some Christmas knitting lined up. The only problem is I KNOW I’ll want to add more the closer December comes. I really would love to knit something for Mom and Dad, but what? They are hard to shop and knit for!!

Here is one recent FO which was one of the most exciting and satisfying knits I’ve done ever



Embossed Leaves Socks designed by Mona Schmidt
Interweave Knits winter 2005
KPM 2 skeins green


I had a bit of trouble beginning the chart. Stupid here thought “oh yes, you work even rows from left to right on charts.” That is only if you are knitting back and forth – not in the round! Oiy.

After that little set back it was smooth sailing.
I was a little intimidated by the cast on (it was different, change is scary) but it was quite easy. And I love the garter st edges on the heel and the toe is beautiful. Whenever I look at handknit socks, I usually end up critical of the way the toe looks. Too pointy, to round, to triangular....
This one is beautiful.
embossed leaves #2

I’ve bought some more sock yarn (although not from lack of supply in the stash) and have already found another pretty pattern to knit which is also designed by Miss. Schmidt: Bells and Whistles. Its in the Holiday 2006 issue. I’ll be using this.
Bear Foot

Besides socks, I have lots of other stuff planned.
Clementine Shawl is started.
Kids cardigan for Maya.
Aran Sweater for Aaron (ha ha).
Kimono style sweater for me (or two).
Shrug for Maya which is almost done.
Necktie for Mike.

That last one is a real problem for me. He picked out a couple of skeins of Wick in a Easter/sprintime colorway (?? Don’t ask, he did mens fashions for a while) and wants me to make him a neck tie.

Here are the problems:
#1. While I have no problem with the idea of a handknit necktie, there is nothing appealing about it to me.
#2. Wick? In a yellow/blue colorway? What hell were we thinking?
#3. There are many respectable necktie patterns that exist out there on the internets alone, but how am I going to knit this thing? Does it need a backing? How do I keep it from curling? How will the larger gauge (I was thinking fingering or sock weight yarn) lend itself to different stitch patterns? And, how will I keep it from looking ridiculous?

I guess its the idea that I will probably spend much time planning, knitting and finishing only to have something silly looking at the end of it all. Just a little skeptical..
He really is disappointed that I haven’t even started yet, and I keep buying more yarn and starting other projects...
I probably should really try and get on this.

One thing is for sure: it aint gonna be pretty

3 Comments:

At 6:09 PM, Blogger Freshbread said...

Your socks look amazing. I love the pattern and the texture that it creates. Wonderful!

 
At 3:37 PM, Blogger Luciana DeVito said...

I LOVE these. I NEED these! Cya on KH! ;o)

 
At 3:37 PM, Blogger Luciana DeVito said...

P.S. Adding a link to your blog on mine ;o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home