Thursday, July 19, 2007

Letting sleeping dogs lie.....



Well, its been a long day here at Chez elderly pets. I dropped Roxie off at the vets at 8am (hello 7am! Haven't seen you in a while!) and 10.5 hours later, picked her up again. She is an older dog. How old? I'm not sure. All I know is she that she aint no spring chicken. She had a total of six, yes 6, teeth pulled. So when we picked her up, she was swollen, stoned and her eyes seemed to be pointed in two different directions. The first people she recognized were Maya and Aaron and she smiled in her silly doggie way as much as she could with a swollen doggie mouth. Since getting home she has successfully manuevered her way around the kitchen table twice and walked on her own to the fireplace.




Roxie has been a part of our family for about 4 to 5 years now. We (the vet and I) guestimate her age to be between 10 and 13 years. She is a sweet and smart dog. She is a shephard and does love to try and herd people when they come into the home. If you are wondering why I'm blogging about a dog on my knitting blog (or not?) I just want to say that, I feel, as a dog owner and a lifeform on this planet, that dog fighting is unacceptable. It is not a "sport". Roxie's value in our home is immeasurable. She loves us and we her. I am astonished that the NFL hasn't taken more of a stand with this Vick indictment. I know Michael Vick is "innocent until proven guilty" and that is how it should be. But the NFL needs to be a little more vocal about the standard of character of its players. Children across the country (and world) look up to these men. They need to at least be able to show that they value life. All life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home